Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Google Navigation in Egypt: Quick Review

Finally Google has listened to the cries of a lot of Android users in Egypt, who were desperate to get their hands on Google's road assistant, Google Navigation. With the existence of expensive, mediocre alternatives on the play store, Navigation easily claims the top spot amongst other GPS apps available in Egypt. but wait, there's a catch here; Navigation is only -at least for now- available on The Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC One-X and HTC one S. Google introduced the app in collaboration with Vodafone Egypt and HTC in a collaboration that we rarely see in the region. It is thus no wonder that Navigation is only available on Google and HTC devices.


When you open the app you will get a screen asking you to speak the destination of type it. At the bottom you'll see your recent destinations. You can also choose whether you want to navigate using you car or just by walking. Google Navigation, then shows you the fastest route to take to your destination, you can still select alternative routes as well.

Navigation is smooth and very accurate. I was surprised to see that it recognizes all the roads I was on. An automated voice will give you the driving directions as you drive to your destination. Every time you make a turn it will update on the next turn you need to take and the distance to that turn. On the screen the same info will appear, with a text and a right, left or curved arrow, depending on the type of the turn.

My experience with Navigation has been excellent . With Google maps operating at the core of the app,  there is no destination that Navigation would not recognize. I did however face some problems trying to understand the directions and ended up taking a wrong turn a few times. I do blame that however on the fact that I don't have a mobile holder in the car, so I didn't have the map in front of me the whole time.

One of the features that I loved in Navigation was its quick ability to show an alternative route once I took a wrong turn. It did not prompt me to go back to the original route, but rather drove me through a different route. Navigation also supports The Arabic language, a very handy feature, which I unfortunately did not have the time to test.

The biggest and only disappointment with Navigation is its lack of traffic data. Up to this moment, Google is yet to introduce traffic data to Egypt, but its a move that we should expect anytime now especially with Navigation now becoming available. For now, Navigation calculates distance to destination based on assumptions and not realtime traffic data. Since I have not seen the level of integration of traffic data with Navigation I can't judge how much it will add to the app, but I'm guessing a lot.

All in all, Navigation is the perfect app for driving around Cairo. 4.5/5

Check out the Google Navigation ad for Egypt below


No comments:

Post a Comment